Father’s Day 2017
VIDEO – Dad, A Hero! http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=FJ11J1NU
This idea to honor our Father & Mother wasn’t started by man, or our Nation. It was a God thing.
The first 4 Commandments God gave the Israelites were about their relationship with Him. The last 6 are about their relationship with others.
In the 5th Commandment… notice who’s first on the list! Exodus 20:12 NLT – “Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
Again, it’s the only one of the Ten Commandments with a promise!
The Family (according to God’s design) is the foundation and bedrock of any society. As the family goes – so does society.
Fathers WE have tremendous influence and impact on the Family! We play a significant role in our child’s spiritual, mental, emotional and physical development.
- 63% of all youth suicides are from Fatherless homes.
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from Fatherless homes.
- 85% of children who show behavioral disorders are from Fatherless homes.
- 80% of rapists with anger problems are from Fatherless homes.
- 90% of repeat arsonists are from Fatherless homes.
- 71% of H.S. Dropouts are from Fatherless homes.
- 75% of patients in Chemical abuse centers are from Fatherless homes.
- 70% of youths in “State operated Institutions” are from Fatherless homes.
- 85% of all youth in prison are from Fatherless homes.
- 71% of teen girls who become pregnant are from Fatherless homes.
FATHER’S WE “DO” MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!
We aren’t perfect and we make mistakes. There’s a lot of things I didn’t do that I should have done. Things I shouldn’t have done that I did. I certainly don’t feel like I was a very good Father or role model for my kids. CERTAINLY not a HERO!
In spite of our mistakes… bad choices and our pride… God can still use us and our mistakes to His glory! Romans 8:28-29 NLT – And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.
Maybe you didn’t know your Father, have a Father in the home, or have a very good experience with your Father… Whatever the situation was, someone was a “Father Figure” in your life or the Man you looked up to. Choose to honor him today because we choose to honor God!
If you don’t have a very good relationship with your real Father, choose to honor God today… call Him to wish Him Happy Father’s Day. Honor him today because you choose to Honor God!
Ways to honor our Father.
1. Forgive him. Show him mercy as God has shown us mercy.
2. Show him Respect. (We are to show respect whether he’s earned it or not.)
3. Love him. Isn’t that what Jesus did for us… Romans 5:8.
4. Spend some quality time with him. Build a relationship. YOU take the initiative. God will honor you for it!
5. Learn his story… there are some thing you may not be aware of.
6. Acknowledge the good (If nothing, at least you were born!)
7. Above all… let him see Christ in you. What happened in your past, in your childhood or even now doesn’t determine who you are and what you do!
Father’s, I want to encourage you today. Just like that video…. You are the SUPER HERO, the WARRIOR in your story, in your family. No one else can be! No one else will be…. And if the world needs anything today… it’s Godly Heroes and Warriors!
British politician Edmund Burke once said, “All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” (I would change that to say all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for “Godly men” to do nothing.”)
Retired U.S. Army Lt. Gen. William Jerry Boykin who served at the Commanding General for US Special Forces Command at Fort Bragg from 2000 – 2003, and who is also a follower of Christ, said this about Warriors.
“Here’s what a warrior is. It’s not the guy who is armed with an AR15 and 30 rounds mags. The Warrior is someone who says: “This is what I love. This is what I hold dear. This is my family. This is my country. This is my faith. And this is what threatens is. This is the enemy. You will NOT hurt what I hold dear. You will NOT hurt what I love, without coming through me.”
In spite of our mistakes, bad choices, pride, and what seems like failure… God hasn’t given up on us, isn’t finished with us! He can still use us to have influence and impact. He hasn’t forsaken us, hasn’t forgotten us, hasn’t left us… He hasn’t lost the battle! IN FACT HE WON! AND, He’s equipped us through His Spirit (The Holy Spirit) to fight… to be a Warrior, to be HIS Warrior! (Do you know Him today?! Father’s, Men are you on the right team?!)
Exodus 15:3 NLT – The LORD is a warrior; Yahweh is His name!
Rev. 19 – Jesus is coming back and He’s not coming as the Lamb but as the LION of God – a Warrior!
1 John 5:4 MSG – Every God-begotten person conquers the world’s ways. The conquering power that brings the world to it’s knees is our faith.
What do Gods Warriors fight for?
– Freedom in Christ!
How do we fight?
1 Samuel 17:45 ESV – Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted.
Ephesians 6:11 ESV – Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14 ESV – Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.
Jeremiah 20:11 ESV – But the Lord is with me as a dread warrior; therefore my persecutors will stumble; they will not overcome me. They will be greatly shamed, for they will not succeed. Their eternal dishonor will never be forgotten.
Joshua 1:9 NIV – Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Revelation 2:26-27 The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received authority from my Father.
Proverbs 14:26 – “He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.”
Judges 6:12 – “The Lord is with you mighty warrior…”
FATHERS… YOU ARE THE MAN! YOU ARE A HERO… YOU ARE A WARRIOR… AND WE CELEBRATE YOU! There is NO weapon or strategy of Satan to defeat the man, the Father who is Surrendered to God, Sacrificing his life for God and Serving God!
In Crosswalk Devotion this past week: 10 Things that Father’s, God’s Warriors need to focus on:
1. RECOGNIZE there’s a War going on and we’re in it!
2. We need to “KNOW” our Commander in Chief and Stay on HIS side! Jer. 9:23-24 ESV – “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”
3. Recognize the Enemy! We have three and we will fight battles with them the rest of this life!
4. In Christ, we have ALL we need… and HE supplies all we need!
5. Stay FIT for the Battle! (Spiritually, Mentally, Emotionally, Physically)
6. Keep your Armor on! (Eph. 6:10-20)
7. Train daily… become “Skilled” with your weapons! (God’s Word and Prayer!
8. Time is short… don’t waste time fighting for things that aren’t important. Eph. 5:15-17 NLT – So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evils days. Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the LORD wants you to do.
9. Our Victory comes one battle at a time, one day at a time.
10. We are more successful, effective, and we overcome when we fight as a Band of Brothers!