What’s in your Water? – Part 2
Remember: John 20:31 CSB – 1 But these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
Jesus meets a Samaritan Woman at a well. Three things Bill brought to our attention last week:
- Jesus is always about His Father’s Business! (And, as His kids, we should be…)
- Cultural, racial, social, economic, educational, religious, political, and other barriers didn’t keep Jesus from reaching people! God is not willing that any should perish but that all would come to repentance! – 2 Peter 3:9
- Nothing kept Jesus from doing God’s will and nothing should keep us from the doing God’s will either! We are His Ambassadors… we Represent Christ! IF WE BELONG TO HIM!!
- Jesus had a “divine appointment” with a woman at a well…
- God is always working drawing people to Himself!
- Just as Jesus had divine appointments from God… we also have divine appointments. We’re His representatives, His Ambassadors… God making his appeal through us to be reconciled to Him!
- Jesus met her greatest need right there at the well. (And so should we.)
- Her greatest need wasn’t water (A physical need of the flesh)… Her greatest need was God! Salvation! (A Spiritual need of the Soul!) To be saved from her sins and restored to a Holy God!
- More often than not we’re trying to get people to come to a building… to some type of church service… program… etc… to meet Jesus rather than introducing them to Jesus right where they are!
John 4:1-42 NIV – Now Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that he was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John—2 although in fact it was not Jesus who baptized, but his disciples.3 So he left Judea and went back once more to Galilee.
4 Now he had to go through Samaria. 5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph.6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.
7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” 8 (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)
9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)
10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.” 11 “Sir,” the woman said, “you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his livestock?”
13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” 15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”
- 16-26 – Our Focus today.
16 He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.” 17 “I have no husband,” she replied. Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”
19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”
21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.” 26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”
Jesus exposes what’s in her water! Exposes what she’s been drinking and filling her life with…
What’s in your well and the water you’re drinking this morning! It’s either…
- Life or Death!
- God or the Devil.
- Good or evil…. Light or Darkness.
- Eternal Security with God or Eternal Separation from God.
- Becoming like Christ or becoming like Satan.
- We’re a “Saint or an Ain’t!” Without the “S” (Savior) you’re an AIN’T!
That’s why Jesus asked her to go get her husband. He wants her to understand what she’s been drinking from and what’s in her water! Where she is spiritually!
Part of the process of Salvation is to recognize we’re in sin and confess our sin! We admit and confess we are sinners in need of a Savior.
Salvation won’t take place if we refuse to humble ourselves and admit our sin. (I will not bow, I will not submit, I will not surrender, I will not confess…)
Isaiah 59:1-2 – Listen! The Lord’s arm is not too weak to save you, nor is his ear too deaf to hear you call. 2 It’s your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore.
James 4:6 – “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
Psalm 10:4 – In his pride the wicked man does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.
- 19-20 – 19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”
Maybe she’s trying to change the subject. (A lot of people do that…)
Maybe she’s confused, wants to change but doesn’t know what to do?
Where do I go? What do I do? How do I make things right?
Vs. 21-24 – 21 “Woman, ”Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
- Samaritans had intermarried with other nations, they combined their worship of God with idols… It was God plus everything else.
- Jews were really no better. There were no visible idols but there was idolatry. Their idol was themselves. (How can you be right with God and hate Samaritans the way they did?)
Jesus explains “acceptable” Worship…23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
Worship isn’t a place, rituals, dress code, religious ceremonies… a day of the week, or a time of day.
We worship in Spirit… Our Heart. We’re born from above!
Ezekiel 36:26-27 CSB – 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will remove your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will place my Spirit within you and cause you to follow my statutes and carefully observe my ordinances.
- It all starts with God! In God, From God, “Born from above!”
John 3:6 – Jesus talking to Nicodemus – Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
Romans 8:9 – But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)
John 14:6 – Jesus said I am the Way and the Truth and the Life, the only way to the Father is through me.
Matthew 15:8-9 – “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 9 They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules. (Jesus quoting Isaiah 29:13)
Think about that and our worship…
- We resist God, we won’t respond to God drawing us to Himself.
- We won’t surrender to God’s Sacrifice in Jesus Christ.
- We won’t acknowledge Him as the Lord and Master of our life.
- We won’t confess our sin… and need for a Savior.
- We won’t Trust Him, or Trust in Him…
Then we show up on Sunday to Worship! What are we worshipping IF we won’t surrender to God through Jesus Christ!
- In Spirit also means “ALL OF ME!” God doesn’t get part of me… it’s all of me. In Spirit means “MY COMPLETE” being. Spiritually, Mentally, Emotionally and Physically God has all of me!
We worship in Truth… Our Head, our Mind.
What is the TRUTH? Truth is the Nature, Character and Commands of God. That’s where Truth originates. It’s only from God that we understand and know the TRUTH.
John 14:6 – I AM the Way and the Truth, and the Life…
John 8:32 – And you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 16:13-14 – When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. 14 He will bring me glory by telling you whatever he receives from me. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine; this is why I said, ‘The Spirit will tell you whatever he receives from me.’ –
John 17:17 – Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth.
Apart from having the Spirit of God, God’s word we don’t really KNOW God… we don’t know His Nature, Character or Commands and we begin make up our own Truth. What’s right in our own eyes…
Well, I believe God is… I believe God would… I believe… Our Beliefs need to line up with God’s Word, the Nature and Character of God or we’re creating a god (little g) and that’s creating an idol.
We can’t live in opposition to the Truth of God, His Nature, Character and Commands and Worship Him!
Spirit produces Spirit. God’s Spirit in us helps us to Worship and we worship with all that we are (Spiritually, Mentally, Emotionally and Physically)
Truth is the Nature, Character, and Commandments of God. It’s Jesus Christ!
Vs. 25-26 – 25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.” 26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”
Well, no one can really say what Worship is or what Truth is until the Messiah comes. He will tell us what is what. He will show us the way. He will make everything right.
You don’t have to wait any longer… “I AM” the Messiah.
Whether we’re Nicodemus and we’re at the top of the food chain with Religion… a Pharisee, helping lead a nation, and “the” Teacher of Israel OR, we’re some immoral Samaritan woman… without Jesus Christ, without being born from above, without the Truth of Jesus Christ we’re still drinking from a cess-pool… drinking filthy, nasty, water of the world that’s contaminated by Satan. Water that will never satisfy, or quench our thirst Spiritually!
What’s in your Water?