John 2:1-12 – The First Sign….
John 2:1-11 NIV – On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” 4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. 8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
Weddings were a huge event in Jesus day. The entire village would be involved or invited to celebrate. (Not the ceremony but the celebration.)
- A couple is “betrothed” to one another. (Could be from a very early age, even childhood, teenage years.) ( Remember, Joseph and Mary)
- During the engagement period the Bridegroom prepared a place for the Bride… the Bride is also be preparing for the Groom .
- At a time determined by the Grooms Father, the Groom would go and get his bride. They would show up at night with torches lit for the Bride.
- The Groom would take her back to their new home where a ceremony would take place and they would consummate their marriage.
- After they’ve consummated their marriage the Celebration would begin! Most of the time it would be a week-long celebration!
Vs. 3 – 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” (Jesus Mother, is probably helping out or involved or she wouldn’t know that.)
Running out of wine was a BIG deal.
- Hospitality in this culture, this time period was a big deal! As a host you were responsible for your guest protection, comfort, food, drink and to make them feel as if they were home!
- Running out of wine is not only an embarrassment… but it would bring shame on the Family, the Bridegroom, the Bride, their wedding and their marriage.
(Some commentators shared that families could even be sued for not providing enough food and drink at the wedding celebration!)
Jesus response. Vs. 4 – 4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
“Woman” was like saying “Ma’am.” Ma’am, why do you involve me? What does this have to do with me and you? My hour has not yet come.
Jesus is simply letting her know this situation has nothing to do with His purpose and why He came.
Also, as the oldest son Jesus was expected to take care of Mary and the family since Joseph passed. Chuck Swindoll stated this was a time of “separation” between Jesus and Mary and the family.
HE didn’t neglect his Mother and family… He’s just letting her know that there’s a separation taking place in order for Him to fulfill God’s purpose. His Ministry and Mission is getting ready to begin.
“Do whatever he tells you.” I love Mary’s faith and trust in Jesus don’t you. She didn’t know what Jesus would do or if He would do anything? But She knew who to go to!
What else are we going to do but put our Faith and Trust in Jesus!
Jesus didn’t have to do anything but He had compassion (Grace) on the family and their situation and He does respond. He doesn’t make a big deal of it… only the servants, Mary and a few disciples knew what took place.
Vs. 6-10 – 6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. 7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. 8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. (Imagine the servants at this time!!) Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
This is the First “Sign” Jesus performed. Over the next three years he would perform many signs and miracles to reveal God, God’s promise of Salvation and restoration through His death and resurrection.
Signs Inform us, Direct us… they Communicate a message! What Information, Direction and Communication might Jesus be giving us in this First sign?
- Jesus is at a Wedding… He’s just doing life. He isn’t held up in some Temple isolated from the world and people… He’s bringing God to the People so they (we) may KNOW HIM!
As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you. John 20:21
How do we – “Seek and Save the Lost… Be His Witness… Be an Ambassador… Be Salt and Light… Shine the light of Jesus in the darkness, and let them see the JOY of Jesus Christ in our life if we isolate ourselves from the world?
- Jesus is concerned for the little things in our life. (God takes care of His kids!) This wasn’t a life and death matter. (Probably was to the Groom!) But Jesus had compassion and took care of it.
1 Peter 5:7 – Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
Jesus understood the shame that would have taken place and He showed Grace to the Groom and the Family!
- Jesus doesn’t do or say anything magical… He simply gave a command and they obeyed!
Jesus doesn’t perform “circus acts.” He’s already said and done all that’s necessary through His death and resurrection! “IT IS FINISHED!”
2 Peter 1:3 – His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. (Notice it didn’t say Knowledge “about” Him… meaning there’s a Relationship/Fellowship)
- It’s a foreshadowing of the “Grace” of God in Jesus Christ!
At our very best, (Spiritually, Mentally, Emotionally, and Physically) we’re going to run out of wine! At our “very best” we WILL be brought to shame and there is NOTHING we can do about it! (Another word for shame is sin.) Jesus provides… to cover the Shame and Sin!
Why put we Faith, Trust and Obedience in anything else but God’s Best in Jesus Christ!
- Our wine (a symbol of life) is empty compared to what Jesus provides and has for us! He provided with EXCELLENCE and ABUNDANCE!!
Assuming all 6 water pots were turned to wine… 150 gal. / 800 bottles!
Not only did the Bride and Groom have enough to finish the Wedding celebration they probably had enough left over to use to sell, or barter to start their new life together.
IN CHRIST, our relationship with Him… knowing, seeking, following HIM we experience something that is EXCELLENT and ABUNDANT… more than we could ever hope for or imagine in our wildest dreams! NOT IN THINGS, but the RELATIONSHIP with JESUS!!
- Jesus provision symbolized a destruction of their religious system. Jesus used the ceremonial water for washing… and turns it to wine.
At the last supper, Matthew 26:28… this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many. (Think they remembered the Water to Wine!)
The blood of Jesus, not our religious effort, washes our sins clean! Jesus exposes and destroys things that are sacred to us to show us the right way! (Ex. 20:3 – You shall have no other god’s before me!)
- Jesus reveals TRUTH and exposes satan’s lies and deception!
(Re: Chuck Swindoll) Some of the priests in the pagan temples would do tricks (with hidden chambers in pots) that would allow them to turn water into wine.
When Jesus is involved it’s not a trick! It’s the real thing and again, it’s more EXCELLENT and more ABUNDANT than ANYTHING the world can offer or that you can imagine!
- (LAST) God is a God of Grace! “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
Even after we choose to do our thing… drink our fill of cheap wine (our sin, the world, things of the world)… God provides His BEST when we choose to surrender to Him!
Prodigal Son… Luke 15: 22-24 – ‘Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. 23 And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, 24 for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.’ So the party began.
Again, Signs are for informational purposes, to provide direction and communication for us… John actually tells us what this sign was for in Verse 11. 11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed (put their faith) in him.
As the glory of Jesus Christ is revealed throughout our study of the Gospel of John that’s my prayer. That it would shatter any unbelief, any incorrect belief and it would strengthen our Faith, Trust and Obedience in Him! And we would be transformed to “Become as He is…”